Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Circumventing Max Recipients on Sendmail Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendelos

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2007
US
Greetings,

I have a situation where I am using a Senmail server as an external relay and MS Exchange 2003 as an internal email server. I have put in a parameter on Sendmail of:

define(`confMAX_RCPTS_PER_MESSAGE', `9')

The idea is to have unlimited recipients for internal email messages through Exchange, but to limit recipients on external email addresses.

The problem appears to be with Exchange as it relays through my Sendmail server. If I send through Exchange with 10 external recipients, Exchange automatically breaks up the message into 9 and 1 recipients. If I send through Exchange with 11 external recipients, Exchange automatically breaks up the message into 9 and 2 recipients.

I am not certain how to get around this problem. Any ideas?

Grendelos

Hi Grendelos

I'm trying to do the same with our Exchange Server, i have been asked to change the SMTP receipents limit to 20 but at the same time keep internal email at 250 user limit, as our DL contain alot of users

did you manage to find a fix to this problem?

I have read many articles and they seem to only point to restricting via global Message delivery which affecte sinternal and external :-(

hopefully

Tony

Sorry tsunamiUK,

I havent' found a perfect solution yet. I am working on a monitoring script that will watch the Sendmail maillog and inform me if someone violates company policy. Theoretically, a milter can be written for Sendmail, but I am a ways off from studying that option.

Grendelos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back