Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 and the need for WINS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen3rd

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
GB
Do i need to have WINS installed and running to run Exchange 2003?

I did the 5 day course and was told i didnt, i have Exchange running at home and i dont have WINS.

But, when reading "Planning an Exchange Server 2003 Messaging System" i noticed the line in chapter 5 "Exchange requires WINS"

Could one of you good folks let me know what your recommendations are.

Cheers

no it does not, unless you have a specific need for it.
If you don't know you need it, you probably don't need it ;-)

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

PS: There is an article on it you may want to review.

You may have a setup that proves that WINS isn't neccesary, but check that the configuration will be supported if you have any issues with the environment.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanks for that Marc.

The article is useful and we only have 1 domain so i think that we could give WINS a miss.

You're welcome.
I am not using it either.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Marc - I had a feeling that the Outlook check username routine resolves the server name using WINS rather than DNS which is why the paper details a requirement for WINS.

That may have been Outlook XP or even 2000 though.

It states indeed:
"Note: Additionally, Microsoft Outlook clients that are earlier than Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 also require NetBIOS name resolution."

But it all depends whether you depend on Netbios for something or not.
I did not have to use WINS, and where possible, I alway try it without it.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back