Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 with SP1: Store memory issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

localbus

MIS
Jan 28, 2002
US
We are running Exchange 2000 with SP1 on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server box with all current service packs and security patches. Since we upgraded to Exchange 2000 we have an issue that the STORE.EXE continues to eat up memory (we have 1GB in this box) whenever the Windows 2000 backup, Veritas Backup Exec or NAI Groupshield accesses the store. It continues to chew up memory till it maxes out. The store does not release it back when this is completed. We have rebuilt the box twice and tested that this is an issue even without the Veritas BENT or NAI Groupshield installed. The only resolution we can find is cycling the services; but this seems prohibitive. Anyone else experiencing this memory issue (leak)?

Is the server slow at the desktop? If not it isn't a leak and is by design. We use all memory since that is why it is there. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Well of course the server will slow down as it is using both maximum levels of RAM and swap file space. Software leaks mean that a program continues to use memory but does not correctly release it back for use to the OS; exactly what this problem shows. I doubt very much this is by design. The STORE.EXE should/needs to release memory back to the OS once a function is finished, whether it is providing access to users, backup or anti-virus agents. The statement "we use all memory since that is why it is there" doesn't hold. Applications or services should only use memory as needed -- not continue to use it indefinitely. That is the definition of a memory leak.

This is an issue with the STORE.EXE application.

I am using a Proliant 1859r, 1 gig memory, dual 550 P3 for my exchange server. With 100-125 users, (count changes almost daily). Total memory in use at any given time is 1,176M. Running swap file at 2xRam. Store is using, 848,580K. I run 2 FULL backups daily. However, I do not run them from software installed on the same server. NAV Corporate is running on the exchange server. When ever I see a mass slow down, it usually is NAV causing it. But the memory in use, is usually constant from within a few hours of starting the machine. If I start to see a large increase in memory usage, I will go 3xram to swap and monitor performance. If you memory usage is stable at a certain level, then it is probably not broke. If it climbs and kills the machine, then it is time to fix a problem.

localbus - Read what I said. A leak = slow desktop. Call support and get them to detect the leak with perfmon and if its the store it will be a free call.

tvergonet - Do yourself a favor and exclude exchsrvr folders from NAV CE. Its not exciting watching your server crash because NAV quarantines a log file.

Dan

Already did, that was found in pre-deployment testing. Along with a few other show stoppers.

I've an HP LH 3000 server with 512Mb RAM (30 users), with win2k SP2 and Exchange 2000 SP1 installed.
I've exactly the same memory problem. Store.exe doesn't release memory until it finish all the available swap file.

I've Arcserve 2000 for the backup and Sybary Antigen for the SMTP Antivirus, but I don't think they're the cause of this problem. I tried to start the server with this services disabled but nothing has changed.

On the Microsoft Knowledge base I've found this articles, but they didn't solve my problem. I hope you will be more lucky than me.

I've also installed the Post SP1 but nothing to do.
Regards

You need to open cases and if it is a bug its free :) Dan

We are experiencing the same problems as you describe:
Ex2000, SP1, all patches up to date.
Dual PIII 933
1gig Ram

Around 300 mail accounts on a native domain.

Every 24 hours, the memory creeps from base (550ish) to over 1.3gig, causing us to stop and restart the following services:

w3svc
pop3
AntiVirus Update
Av Groupshield
MsExchangeIS (Store)

On the stop store, the memory drops back to base.

Can't find anything yet but I know that we didn;t have these problems with Exch5.5 -that ran like a dream

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Damian

The STORE.EXE doesn't release allocated memory!!!

Xybertron, second of me this is an bug!
Stop to write b.. s... and try to show us a solution.

Regards

laco@hscitalia.com

We're running 2 NT servers (SP 6) each with Exchange 5.5 (SP 3), and both show a memory leak with STORE.EXE (on the order of 800 MB).

STORE.EXE seems to be the most active CPU-wise when a backup is performed on it (specifically, we use HP's Omniback to perform a hot Exchange backup). Dunno if this is making the leak worse.

In any case, the STORE.EXE memory leak is not just an Exchange 2000 issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back