Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 OWA - Some users cannot login

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvoce

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have an Exchange 2000 Server set up, working perfectly, with the exception of OWA. The Administrator user, and another user (me, cvoce) can login perfectly. All other users cannot.

There is nothing (that I can find) special about the cvoce account - it is not a member of the Administrator group.

Exchange is installed on a Domain Controller, if that makes a difference.

I have checked the settings about "logging in locally" to the Domain Controller - look fine.

The symptoms are that if another user tries to access smtp.domain.com/exchange, they get (as I do) prompted for a user/password. I type mine in and get OWA. They type theirs in and get prompted 3 times in total - then get just "Error: Access Is Denied.".

Any ideas?

Look forward to your replies.

Chris

Have I really stumped EVERYONE with this question? Even postings saying "yeah, it does it for me too, but I don't have a solution" would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

I get this too except it is on select computers. It is definitely not a server problem as the other people can login usig OWA from different computers.

Have you gotten anywhere with this?

Got nowhere at all.

I'd have expected that SOMEONE on the forums (not just this one that I posted to) would have an idea what was wrong :-(

Chris

have you tried getting one of the users who doesn't work to connect to owaserver.mydomain.com/exchange/username, I found that ours will only work that way (although I think that may have more to do with it sitting in the DMZ) but give it a go.

Yeah, tried that. No luck.

Did you follow similar insturctions to these??

Configure Integrated Windows Authentication for OWA in Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0
To configure Integrated Windows authentication for OWA in Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0:
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.
Expand ServerName, right-click the virtual server where OWA is installed (for example, Default Web Site), and then click Properties.
Click the Directory Security tab.
Under Anonymous access and authentication control, click Edit.
Click to select the Anonymous access check box, and then click Edit.
Verify that IUSR_ComputerName appears in the Username box, where ComputerName is the name of the computer, and then click OK.
Click to clear the Basic authentication (password is sent in clear text) check box.
Click to select the Digest authentication for Windows domain servers check box, click to select the Integrated Windows authentication check box, and then click OK.
If the Inheritance Overrides dialog box is displayed, click Select All, and then click OK.
Click OK, and then close the Internet Information Services snap-in.

Hope this helps

--Rory--

Chris,

I am having similar if not same problem accessing OWA. It was working fine for a long time and just recently as my users changed thier passwords they could no longer access OWA from home. Of particlular note, I can access OWA with thier credentials from my house and our lan, they cannot from thier homes. Very weird. I have checked permissions, authentication and just about everything else i was able to find and nothing seems to help. Keep you posted.

Jeff

Hi:
I was having the same problem and after changing the security settings in IIS as RoryJMcKenna suggested, now it works but using their Windows Login name instead of their email address name.
I'm still trying to figure out how users can use their email address name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back