Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2002
US
I was wondering does anybody know if you have to do the forest prep and domain prep on a new install. I have a 5.5 nt4 server that was on a nt 4 network which i just upgraded the network to a 2k3 domain controller. I moved the 5.5 box over to the new domain and everything works fine. I need putting the new 2k sever on another server and going to get rid of the 5.5 server. I just am having a problem with the install of Exch 2k. Do you have to run the forest prep from the domain controller or the server you are installing exchange on. Im kinda lost never have installed this before. Any help would be appreciated

Jim

Well i read that article and another article from msexchange.org. I got the forestprep to run from the domain controller. So i came back to my server that i want to install Exch. 2k on and tried to run domainprep on it. It keeps erroring out saying it cant access the windows 2000 active directory and that it cant contact the schema master server to get the active directory forest.

My question is does anybody know if a
2k server with exch 2k will run on a 2k3 domain. I know that Exch 2k will not run on a 2k3 server but i dont know if it run in a domain that has a 2k3 domain controller. That is my only unknown here.

Jim

Jim,

I do not know about the Windows 2003 Server domain controller, but I would recommend that you check and double check your DNS settings. When I have problems installing Exchange 2000 it is usually an incorrect configuration within DNS.

Would i need a DNS setting pointing to the 2k3 domain server. Im not to sure what kinda dns setting i would need. I have checked the ip address for our dns servers and everything looks fine.

What is your server setup like? You have at least 2 servers from what I have read. A 2003 DC and a 2000 DC. What services are these running?

From what I know - Exchange 2000 and Windows Server 2003 do not play nice - in fact, S2K3 will not even allow an install of Exchange 2000 - you need to use Exchange 2003. If you are trying to load Exchange 2000 on a W2K server that would be a different story. I still think you will have problems with a 2000 and 2003 mix.

You can install Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server, within a Windows 2000 or 2003 domain. Windows 2003 only supports Exchange 2003. As long as you only try and install Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server or Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 server, you should be fine. It does not matter if the rest of your domain controllers are Windows 2000 or 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back