Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

wotsit

MIS
Oct 18, 2002
GB
We have a test windows 2000 domain with active directory installed.
I have run the setup program for exchange 2000 on one of the servers and it completed successfully.
What do i need to do now ? Can i just create a new user in active directory and everything should work okay ??
I've never installed exchange before so i'm a bit stuck. The exchange book we have here is useless, so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

I really don't intend to sound condescending, but maybe you need a different book then. This is a rather broad topic. Mastering Exchange 2000 Server by Barry Gerber is bland but has good basic information.

As nutshell as it gets:

Yes, create new users with mailboxes and you will have users with mailboxes. If you have existing users you can right-click on them in Active Directory Users and Computers and under exchange tasks you can create mailboxes for them. You must install Exchange management components on all machines that you wish to do this from, as well as any machines that you're backing the exchange information stores up from.

In order to recieve mail, your internet DNS must have an MX record that points to your server. Marc Creviere

Thanks for your help on this. I managed to install and configure it okay.

helen

That is correct. After an install of exchange everything is correctly setup for you to start using. But I hightl advised you to get the latest service pack for exchange 2000 and windows 2000.

Also make sure your DNS is configured correctly. And also remember that if your ISP is hosting your mx records, make sure your have an internal dns.

Peace. Notorious1963

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back