Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 Install gone nuts, please help me remove

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuphantom

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2001
US
Hi Group,
Alright, I've gone and done it. I am working with Exchange 2000 in my company. I installed the trial version from the Microsoft Website. On this I created only two mailboxes. When I bought Exchange 2000, I opted to get the Standard Edition. But since the trial is the Enterprise Ed, I needed to uninstall it. Of course I had massive problems. I got the usual error about not being able to uninstall while their were mailboxes. I found other messages in this group about manually uninstalling. I followed those directions, and it seemed to work.
I went to install the edition I had bought and it told me that "Myserver" was already in the "First Admin Group." I found another message about how to remove this. By going into services under AD's Sites and Services.
Then I installed the Standard Version. Now it has gone completely haywire. The tabs for Exchange are available in properties under AD, but I can't do anything. The addresses are there, and they are the same addresses as before the uninstall, but I can't edit them. When I go to Exchange Tasks in AD, my only option is to enable instant messaging. I can't add or delete any mailboxes.
So I went to uninstall the freshly installed version of Exchange 2000. Again it is telling me that it can't uninstall because of mailboxes that exist. But I can't remove any mailboxes because AD doesn't even acknowlege that there are any. Something, somewhere is terribly screwed up. I need everything taken out of Active Directory and this server so I can start from scratch. How do I do this? And what is the safest way. I don't want to corrupt the Active Directory.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Reagan

Hi there! I am in a similar situation. I uninstall Exchange Server 2000 (used the Q260378 document in ms support site and seems to work). After a fresh installation it again I have the console, the tabs in the Active Directory for the users but the only action available is instant messanging. I noticed that none of the MSExchange services are installed. Any ideas on how to register the services?

Alberto

Well guys, I got that fixed months ago, but I don't think any of you will like the way I had to do it. I never did find a solution to an easy way to get rid of every trace of Exchange 2000 in AD, so I just got rid of AD. The Windows 2000 network was kind of new, so removing the whole thing and reinstalling the whole thing wasn't a major deal.

I took an entire weekend and then completely reformated the Exchange Server machine and reinstalled Win 2000 Server on it. Then I demoted the main Win 2000 Server machine to a stand alone, thus deleting everything in AD. Then I again promoted it making a fresh copy of AD. I just set all the options I had before in Group Settings, but didn't add any users yet. I then made the Exchange machine a secondary controller and installed Exchange 2000. It ran with no problems. After that I reinstalled all the users with mailboxes.

This was extreamely drastic I know, but I was desperate to make it work and it worked.

I downloaded the eval and had loads of grief installing the licensed copy on top...for an easy life, I just binned the whole installation and started from sctratch!!!...afterall it was only a test machine with a few connectors etc

Your right cpuphantom is not a nice way to do it.But I am afraid that it will be faster that trying to find the real cause. I am going to try with out reformating the server and just leave it as an stand alone server.I have applications using SQL on that server so I do not want to re-install all. I will let you know what happened just for fun. I do not what do you think but if AD is going to be like the windows registry....oh my god!... there are tons of problems ahead.

I am quite expreieced thourgh this process unistalling Exchange 2000.. You have to goo Administrative TOols -> Activery directory SITES then choose Service Mode (from second menu option, i can't remember) then delete Exchange Organization.. Then go head pop Exchange CD IN.. then Choose REMOVE option.. it should take care.... removing cleanily. including all the services...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back