Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 and 2003 Coexist? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraunkd

MIS
Sep 21, 2005
US
We are currently running Exchange 2000 and will be upgrading to Exchange 2003. But I have bought new hardware for the new Exchange 2003 server and would like the two to coexist together during the migration - had planned on building the new server and then move a few mailboxes over at a time during the testing phase before I move the entire company.

I'm not seeing anything like this in the documentation that I have found in regards to migration strategies. Everything related that I have found only considers upgrading from 2000 to 2003 on the same server. Seems like this would be the safest/preferred method.

Are we not able to move mailboxes from an Exchange 2000 server to an Exchange 2003 server while they are both running on the same domain/network?

This is exactly what I did for our company, at one point we had 2 E2K and 3 E2K3 Server all coexisting hapily, moving the mail boxes was a snap.

You do have to update your AD Schemas first, and there are some minor functionalities of E2K3 until you raise the domain funtional level to E2K3 Native mode.

Our domain controlers were all W2K3 native when we did this migraion.

Hi,

I just thought I'd add to this to help your confidence! I did exactly the same for my company. I went from one Win2000/Exchange 2000 over to two Win2003 / Exchange 2003 servers.

As anawrocki mentioned you must upgrade the win 2000 servers AD to cope with being on a win2003 domain, but this was straightforward.

The moving mailboxes bit it really easy - just be prepared that you may need to manually reconfigure some of the clients. However, I found that if I left the client alone for an hour or so it usually sorted itself out. If I messed around with it straight away then I had to do some manual reconfiguration, although that was easy enough.

Third vote of confidence is a charm.

I installed a new w2k3 server, updated schemas, installed e2k3, then installed AV.

Migrated users. PC's figured out the move on their own, as did Blackberry Enterprise server accounts. Backups work like a charm. Mac users with Entourage required reconfiguring.

But so far its a snap, I have 3 users left to move, then the Veritas, Blackberry, and Norton accounts, then time to decomission the e2K server.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

First, thank you for taking the time to respond to this post. I’m a little over cautious due to the lack of documentation in regards to a migration path that involves implementing Exchange 2003 server in a network with an existing Exchange 2000 server. Just want to make sure that I do not negatively affect our current AD 2000 and Exchange 2000 environment by either performing the wrong setup or leaving an important step out.

Below is a quick outline of what appears to be correct – please chime in if you have any advice or comments.

Exchange 2003 Migration Path

• 2003 Server built and fully patched (only the operating system loaded and patched)
• Boot.ini file modified to accept 4 GB RAM
• Run Exchange 2003 ForestPrep

Question:
If running 2003 ForestPrep extends the AD schema to include Exchange 2003-specific classes and attributes and creates the container for the Exchange organization in Active Directory… What does this do to the current and live (2000) Exchange classes and attributes as well as the current (2000) container for the Exchange (2000) organization in Active Directory? No worries with loss of data or interruption of Exchange services? Seamless integration into current network?

• Run Exchange 2003 DomainPrep

Question:
Is it really safe to run Exchange 2003 DomainPrep on the same network with a live 2000 environment? This will not interfere with the current Exchange 2000 setup, current domain controllers and AD setup? No worries? Seamless integration into current network? (a little nervous on this step)

• Install Exchange 2003
• Switch to Native Mode
• Test
• Migrate users
• Retire Exchange 2000 server

Expand for forestprep is right.
domainprep is the same - no clashes.

Domain Prep and Forest Prep are safe (normal backup precautions apply of course), E2K will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back