Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exch2003 with Outlook2000 client, what new features will be disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacca

Technical User
Dec 25, 2003
HK
Hi there,

We're planning to migrate from isp pop mail to our own exchange2003 server, however most client still using w98 & therefore can't use outlook 2003.

Just wondering what new features in exchange2003 will not be usable in outlook2000 client?

Many thanks!

well u wont be able to use the new feature called exchange cached mode in which by default the server can work in offline mode and cache all the messages ......another good feature is junk filter ..... it has got new virus scanning API which works at user level also.....

in that case, if i want something like "cache mode" in outlook2000 client, can pop3/imap4 do the job?
many thanks!

Cache mode stores it both on the client and exchange server (incase there is network disruption... which never happens in a Microsoft Enviroment). Differences... XP vs 2003...

"What are the major changes between Office 2003 Editions and Microsoft Office XP?
A. Office 2003 Editions programs include many significant changes, including:

• Broader support for Extensible Markup Language (XML). Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, and Microsoft Office Access 2003 offer XML schemas you can customize for using data, smart documents, and programmable task panes (such as the Research task pane).

• Greater integration with Microsoft Windows® SharePoint™ Services. This provides increased collaboration through team sites, such as Document Workspaces, Meeting Workspaces, and other collaboration tools.

• A redesigned version of Microsoft Outlook® with an improved Reading Pane, cached memory, e-mail conversation thread condensers, and other improvements."

Also, the ability to connect to Exchange server using HTTP/RPC (which I have not implimented, since OWA/SSL works fine).

Hi pschwarz, for your owa/ssl solution, is it for both internal/external usage? or owa for external access, internal still use outlook?

Many thanks!

I have installed OWA/SSL two times. Both times, was with only one Exchange server. SSL cert. was installed on Exchange server (both times). First time, was with a Cisco PIX. Just did port forwarding through 443 (on PIX). Second time was with an ISA server. Required SSL cert to be installed on Exchange server, then exported/installed to ISA server. Alternative, is to consider a front end/back end Exchange solution, which I have read about... the reading I have done indicated to install the certificate on the F.E. exchange server (setup in a DMZ), then setup IPSec between the F.E. server and the B.E. server. This is what I would consider if I where planning a B.E. clustered exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back