Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCH 2k3 - Outlook 2k3 - exch currently in recovery mode... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAEricksen

Technical User
Dec 8, 2001
US
I had to totally reinstall windows 2003 server for reasons that will go unmentioned (not hardware related).

In doing so, I had to resinstall Exchange 2003 also.

The hard drive was not reformated.

everything seems to be working fine, except for one account.

When this user opens outlook 2003, user gets an error message that reads:

"Exchange is currently in recovery mode. you can either connect to your exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this login."

clicking connect works just fine and the user is fully functional at that point.

What does this error message mean, and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

PAE

PAE,

If it is only one user having this problem I would export the data to a PST file using Outlook and then ,using Exchange tasks, delete the mailbox and purge it in System Manager. Then ,using Exchange tasks, create a new mailbox and connect the user to it, import the data and see if that clears the error. I have to admit I don't know if it will work, but I can't find a reference to the error anywhere. I hope this helps!

Tom

I deleted and recreated the mailbox but the user is still having the same problem.

As I posted before, the purge option was greyed out so I couldn't do that step.

OK, so today I totally deleted the accound in Active Directory. Purged the mailbox. then recreated the account.

First thing that went wrong is that the user could not log into HIS PC using the new password I assigned him, I had him go to a DIFFERENT pc and he was able to log in. Finally I just changed his password back to what it was before deleting his account and he was able to log in fine from his PC.

After all of this, Outlook is still giving me the same error...

the guy is starting to get angry at me, and I don't blame him...

Please, help!

I have the answer!!!!

It's all about Outlook Profiles. You'll see that the users with this error, have at least 2. Outlook and Backup of Outlook. Remove them both, and add a new one. Thats it!!

I looked in his control panel and he only has one Outlook profile, and one corel 8 profile. There is no backup profile in there...

Is there another place besides the user's control panel to find profiles?

OK, I deleted the Outlook profile (the only one) and just opened Outlook up, went through setup and now the issue is FIXED!!!

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this!

phew, I can relax for the rest of the weekend!!!

Top Tip

Thanks - I had exactly the ame problem - deleteing the profile did it.

5 Star *****

Thanks guys! This worked for me too. I'd converted my 2k server to 2k3 and experienced the same as you, and deleting the profiles fixed it.

Great stuff - thanks

Thanks. I have been trying to figure this out for the last month.

I've received this message for the first time! Thank you so much for providing the answer!!!

I have an answer for a specific instance for the "Exchange Server is running in recovery mode" error. If you are using Outlook 2003 and exchange 2000 check the profile of the user account. There is a setting for running in cached mode, if this is checked , delete the profile and re-create it without the "cached mode" turned on. You can have multiple profiles with this, so make sure you clear all of them.

-mrnewsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back