Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exch 2003 on W2K cluster and DR plan advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gqma0

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
GB
Hi.

I'm no Exchange experts and I need your advice. I have a project to demonstrate to one of our customers using our replication product.
Our software is a data migration/replication at the block level and the customer would like us to demo the product with Exchange 2K3 on a Cluster running W2KSP4.

I've installed and setup Exchange Virtual server with one storage group only and it fails over properly, I created new accounts and I'm using OWA as the client to test mail exchanges.

I know how to migrate data within a cluster as we only switchover the drive letters to complete the migration with ClusterRecovery.exe.

The problem is that the customer wishes to replicate the data between a cluster and a stdalone server (different name) and be able to switchover to the new server in a DR situation.
I know you will ask questions why they want to do this and not use other alternatives (GDC). They want to see it happen and I don't argue.

I don't have the knowledge to accomplish this task so if you could point me in the right direction or lead me through the steps, that would save me a lot of time.

I understand the "move mailboxes" is the 1st choice of migration for Exchange admins but this is a DR scenario and we need to have a plan of actions for when the cluster is totally unavailable.
Thanks in advance

Gaetan

Hi.

Please, does anybody know what best practices to accomplish the task ?

Surely, I guess there are Exchange servers within a SAN and the possibility to rezone the storage to another server in case of disaster ?

What's the plan when the server goes down and storage is intact ? Tape restore will take a while. Does anyone have data replication in place ? How do they switchover ?

Thanks again
Gaetan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back