Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excessive Time to Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmurphywa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2008
US
Hi everyone - new to the board and almost certainly not as up to speed as all of you, so here goes:

I think it is taking way too long to backup my server (over 8 hours) but I have no point of reference so I want to know if things seem generally normal or if I have a problem. Here are the particulars:

Dell Poweredge 1550 server
900 Mhz processor
Three hard drives in Raid 5 configuration
C: Volume 33G capacity, 13G free space (20G used)
Using Backup Utility in Windows 2003
Backup files written to 35G Rev Drive connected via USB
Backup file is about 20G (same as C: volume size)

I hope this is all of the info you need. Again, I'm just trying to figure out whether it should take 8 hours to back-up my C: volume or if I have a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

bmurphywa,
It does sound too long to backup 20 GB. What kind of data do you backup? What are the speed of the 3 hard drives as well as the data transfer rate for the Rev Drive?

Maybe the USB is the bottleneck. If you chose a smaller backup and have it dumped to the C: drive, how long does that take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back