Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excessive fan noise in a ML370

Status
Not open for further replies.

renne

Technical User
May 17, 2002
US
Does anyone have any clue about how to reduce excessive fan noise in a Proliant ML370. I read on Compaq's site that you can control the fan on the G2 machines by software settings, but I can't find anything on the G1. Thanks.

Renne

Have you tried checking for blockages in the fans? The fans seem to slow down (and get quieter) after the initial boot stage, but will spped up again if the server temperature cannot be reduced.

Renne,

There are some *.nlms that you need to load inorder to control the fan noise. Listed below are the modules:

* cpqhlth.nlm
* cpqqmaint.nlm
* cpqpower.nlm
* cpqnssu.nlm

These modules are installed from Compaq Insight Manager. Basically my server is using the following modules because I have fault tolerant power supply units installed.

I hope this information is helpful.

Update the Systems management driver. As soon as you do that and reboot the fans come on, stay loud, then slow down and become quiet. Quiet is still not very quiet on the server. If your fan is making loud unhealthy noises you may wanna call tech support and have it replaced. The fan may be failing soon.

Thanks guys, I'm taking all suggestions under advisement. I didn't notice any blockage in the fans and the noise doesn't seem unhealthy, just lots of "air being moved at a rapid rate" sound. I wouldn't dare put a pair of wings on the chassis :> Our 2500s and 1600s sound like a mother's lullaby by comparison. I did get the download for the Advanced Management upgrade and I guess we'll see ...

Thanks again.

Renne (wearing her earmuffs)

ALLLLL RIGHT!!! The Advanced Systems Management upgrade worked like a charm. One minute I was standing next to a 747 readying for takeoff and two minutes later - a purring kitten. Thanks for the tips.

Renne

Good Im happy for you.
(takes ur earmuffs off) "Isnt that soo much better."

Had the exact same problem. The update also worked like a charm. Thanks a lot, the rock concert I went to last week was a lot quieter than this server ;)

Yeah, aren't these forums great? :>

Renne

Thank you renne!

At the moment, i'm ready to try anything...the server is located in a room beside the directors office...he is freaking out..LOL...i'll follow up on this to let you know if it worked or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back