Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excessive Dial Up On Router - I'm going to be fired !! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonb007

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have W2K Advanced Server and a Dlink DI300M router. Since moving to W2K from NT4 the router seems to be constantly active.

I use DHCP to give the clients IP addresses. Something is triggering the router therefore this months phone bill was astronomical !!

In response to another user, I've deleted all the forwarders in DNS and disabled DNS Server and Client in Services, but still dial-ups occur. There must be thousands of people with W2K and router's and this problems so must be a simple solution.

My boss is off and I have this week to solve this b4 I get fired on Tuesday as it was my recommendation to move to W2K. Any information on how to solve this would be appreiciated.

Jason B.

I did eventually resolve this issue with making most of the changes I stated earlier in the posts, it was not easy and all issues are caused by DNS lookups. So, I removed netbios from my LAN completely, set up DNS server on my server and configured all workstations to look at my dns server for dns resolutions, installed wins to help resolve netbios name resolutions and filtered my router to block all netbios (137/138/139/445) traffic. If you want an email which contains a word doc with images of the changes necessary to the server (win2k) and workstations (win98) then send me a mail and I will send them to you. email me at marconotsopolo@hotmail.com

Good luck

Why dont you call the people who installed the router, and ask them to reprogram it. LIke for exaple set up dial out restrictions on Dial on Demand. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Thanks Marconotsopolo, I will send you an email.

Koquito,
I have spent a lot of time and money talking to paid professionals, The router which is currently Teltrend was also swapped out for a Cisco router, programmed by the professionals themselves. The switch was also swapped out for a newer higher spec model, hoping to prevent any broadcasts from my LAN too, No joy!

I also spent lots of my time, other IT guys time, endless phone calls and this didn't help either. We have also tried several routers with the same result. I wonder if .NET will sort it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back