Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excessive backup time

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve007m

Technical User
Feb 11, 2005
GB
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me. Our company uses Veritas Bacup Exec 9.0 and we have a problem with backing up data on a thursday night. we have a shcedule for 23:00 every day monday to friday. every other day runs fine apart from thursdays. when i check the backup in the morning the display still says loading media and the tape is still in the drive. we have tried removing the scheduled job and starting it from scratch, changing tapes and cleaning the drive but nothing seems to work at all - every thursday guarenteed the job will not have been completed. we change the tape on friday morning and the job finishes a few hours later as normal - but why is not loading the media from the last nights tape? i have no idea how to resolve this problem

steve

What type of job is running on Thursday nights; full, differential, incremental? What type jobs run on the other nights of the week?

Have you tried loading a 2nd tape to see if the job continues running?

the same daily backup job runs on thursdays as with any other night and on any other server. i did not load a second tape as the tape is still in the drive and says loading media. the size of the tape is the same as the other tapes and we dont have a sudden rush of data for thursdays to back up - so we shouldnt need to change the tapes. there should be plenty of space left, more than enough. we have also started to have more frequent failures on other days and the tape cleaning light comes on more frequently, despite cleaning the drives. could this be a tape drive starting to have hardware failure???
thanks for your help.

Steve

Steve, I'm having the same sort of problems. My backups will randomly give me loading media errors. If I give it a new tape it will run ok, but I really can't be running backups during business hours so babysitting the backup all day is not really an option. I have to clean my drives every day now too. Veritas.com is no help at all, the best they came up with is use new media, well duh. Hopefully someone will have a suggestion!

Anne

I think BackupExec's Media Overwrite Protection is the 'problem':

Check the eventviewer's application log for eventid 58062:

"Backup Exec Alert: Media Overwrite
(Server: "xxx") (Job: "Daily backup") Do you want to overwrite imported media 'xxx'?

Media Overwrite Protection is configured to prompt before overwriting imported media."

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back