Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exception Report based off of results from Subreports

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlbrown88

Technical User
Jun 28, 2010
US
Hi all!

I have created a report where I have 2 sub-reports passing a total of 8 variables back to the main.
On the main I have a formula where I am using the shared variables from the 2 subs to create positive or negative number (basically, open orders minus deliveries minus any avail open stock buckets). I want to be able to only show the results that are negative numbers and it's corresponding order detail from the detail line.
My detail is on the detail line, my subs are both on GF1a and my formula result is on GF1b.
How or what can I do to only show this negative number?? I currently have about 200+ pages of order detail and only about 1 page that are true "exceptions" that I would want to show.

Any ideas???

If the subreports are in the group footer, then they are not running until after the detail has been processed.

You might try moving them to the group header, then it will be available for the detail lines in the group. I would put the subreports in GH1a and the return formulas in GH1b.

I am still not able to suppress the positive results. I need to be able to show only the negative results of the formula, which are the exceptions.
Typically I would use the Select Expert/Formula Workshop to say where {formula} < 0.

I have to think that there is a way to create this exception but I just can't seem to come up with a solution. :(

That's exactly what you do. Create another formula in the main report with this
If {formula} < 0 Then {formula} Else 0
Then suppress if that {formula} >= 0.

If you are relying on results from a sub-report, you cant use record selection. A couple of things to check:
[ul]
[li]you need to use shared variables;[/li]
[li]the sub-report will need to be in a section prior to where the resultant variable is being used.[/li]
[/ul]

If you are still having problems, post details of report structure, and the suppression formula you are using.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Pete

I believe I have found a solution.
I ended up using a formula in the Details Section Expert to suppress any "exceptions" (If {@Short To Order} < 0 Then {@Short To Order}Else 0)that were = to "0.0".
Works like a charm.
Thanks for the ideas and assistance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back