Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiver

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2003
GB
Below is a typical line of information I have on a spreadsheet:

ABC 0
AB 1
ABD 0
RTD 12
TGR 9

What I would like is that when I get a 0 in a field that that whole row can be hiden, is that possible?

not without code
You could make ALL text in the row appear invisible using conditional formatting but you cannot hide rows dynamically without code

Rgds, Geoff

Never test the depth of water with both feet

Help us to help you by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

This is NOT a helpdesk

Firstly - have you done any coding / are you comfortable using code??

Secondly, before blindly asking for help, try having a look in the help files. If you ARE comfortable using code, try recording a macro. If you are NOT comfortable with code, there is no real point me providing code for you

Rgds, Geoff

Why not just use Data>Filter to show everything other than those where the result is Zero? Darn sight easier than writing a whole heap of code

In reply to a very unhelpful xlbo.

In response to your comment...This is not a helpdesk..of course these formums provide of source of help and guidance on resolving problems people have. So they can in one form or another be described as a helpdesk.
I would not have come onto this forum if I did not need help. And before putting any questions on this formum I always make a point of looking into the problem and resolving it myself.
I've know basic coding, so am not a complete novice.

Thanks for nothing.

Yeh - massively unhelpful me - try doing some research before you point fingers. You are in the MSOffice forum, not VBA. Therefore, I was trying to find out if you had any background in VBA. I also suggested using the macro recorder to try and get some sample code for yourself. Quite frankly, if that is beyond you, you shouldn't be taking part in these "Technical Work Forums for Computer Professionals"
Your assertion that
I always make a point of looking into the problem and resolving it myself.
seems to be at odds with your very quick response of "what code would I need" which indicated to me that you had NOT done any research into it. Where is any sample code that you would need modifying, where is ANY evidence that you have looked into this at all. Please understand that from my point of view, you are just asking me to solve a problem for you. You could be any Tom, Dick or Harry using this resource as a helpdesk without giving anything back. You want people to help you - first of all, show that you are willing to try to help yourself

If you can show me some sample code that you have recorded, I will be quite happy to show you how to modify it to get the results you desire. If, on the other hand, you are just using this site as a helpdesk and you can't be bothered to try and help yourself and learn from it, I will be equally happy to Red Flag this thread and get it deleted.
Your choice

Rgds, Geoff

Since this post I have worked out how to do the problem myself, so I doubt very much that it is beyond me to take part in these forums.

I am the first to admit that I get more out of this site than I put in, but that is because I am relatively new to it all. And learning day by day. And if and when i have been able to offer help I have given it. This is increase too the more I learn.

You make many assumptions about people using this site as a helpdesk yet you have nothing of any substnace to back that up. I think you should keep your views on that subject to yourself. If you feel that is the case, simple don't help that person.

Great - I'm glad you managed to figure it out and I have no problem with people getting more out of this site than they put in. My point was more to do with perception. The management at this site do not want it used as a simple helpdesk and by helpdesk I mean people asking questions, expecting to get a full answer without trying anything themselves or learning from it. Now, you are obviously not in that category - I know that now BUT your response of "so what code would I need" made me think otherwise initially. For most people, just leaving the question and not answering is fine but part of the work I do (voluntarily) for the site is to red flag those kind of users to site management so it is not as simple as just not helping that person. I hope you can understand and appreciate my position and once again, I am glad that you managed to work out the answer.

Rgds, Geoff

I can see your point too, and can see that you do help a lot of people. (I did my research this time).

Anyway I think it is time to stop this mini arument and carry on with our work.

[cheers]

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back