Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excell - Partial printing of the large sheet 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazblaz

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
CA
I have a spreadsheet with a lot of fields on it, and pretty difficult to print it out on one page. I can do it on the legal size of paper, but the readability is the question, very small letters, and just difficult to read it. On the Screen I can scroll Left-Right, Up-Down, I want to leave the spreadsheet on one sheet. My question is it possible to program with some commands, that I can print out the contains of the sheet on more sheet, arranging it
through ranges. So I will define areas of the sheet, like:
range1=A1:AQ31
range2=A36:BA66
range3=AS1:BA36
and probably for each I have to define page orientation, scale etc…(I don't want to set the page for each range every time I want to print out the report.)
Can I do this print commands through some Icons, so I just need to click on the icon 1,2, or 3 and it will print out the chosen area of the sheet?

Hey bb,
Here is a great opportunity to use Excel's macro record feature.

1. Turn on the recorder -- Tools/Macros/Record New Macro

2. Go thru all the setup & print for each page including setting the print area

3. Turn off the recorder

You can run the macro from a

1. control key sequence, from
2. Tools/Macros/Macro - and then select your macro
3. from a command button

Hope this helps :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

1. You can adjust each page's print parameters beyond "fit to one page" for example - in Page Setup use the "Adjust to: 100% of normal size" is the default, simply change the number.

2. I often highlight the ranges by filling the range with a color from the Paint Icon - or advanced method: |Format Cells, |Patterns, then choose color.

3. Or you can use the Border Icon to format the whole range or |Format Cells, |Border, then choose line type, thickness & color.

4. Light colors are represented as light gray in printouts.

5. Then you can name each area as Range1, Range2, etc.

6. Then you can use above tip for print parameters.

Dave Y

blaz,

Another option is to use Excel's &quot;Camera&quot; to take a &quot;picture&quot; of each range, and place each picture on a it's own separate sheet - where you can set the page-setup settings uniquely for each report - including separate headings if you prefer. Then, all you'll need to do is click on whichever sheet-tab you want to print, and then print as you normally would - i.e. <Control> P <Enter>, or use the Print icon.

An important point about these &quot;pictures&quot;, is that they are &quot;linked&quot; to your original data. Therefore, any changes you make to your original data, including inserting/deleting rows/columns, will automatically be reflected in the pictures.

There is a &quot;Camera&quot; icon that you can place on one of your existing toolbars. These are the steps involved.

1) From the menu, choose: Tools - Customize

2) Click the &quot;Commands&quot; tab.

3) Under &quot;Categories&quot; (left side), click on &quot;Tools&quot;.

4) Under &quot;Commands (right side), scroll down until you find the &quot;Camera&quot; icon - it's near the bottom.

5) Click-and-drag the icon to one of your existing toolbars.

In using the Camera...

a) Highlight a range (one range at a time),

b) Click the &quot;Camera&quot; icon. This will cause the mouse-pointer to change to a plus character... +

c) Click on a separate sheet (create a new sheet ahead of time if required).

d) Left-click to drop the picture. Once you've dropped it, you can easily move it around.

And a &quot;bonus&quot;... If desired, you can easily &quot;enlarge&quot; the picture - by clicking-and-dragging a &quot;corner&quot; handle. And you can &quot;stretch&quot; the picture - by clicking-and-dragging one of the &quot;middle&quot; handles.

Note... If you have assignd range names to the individual ranges, you can use these range names with your pictures. While clicked on the picture, simply type: =xxx ...where you replace &quot;xxx&quot; with your range name, and <Enter>.

A final note: In this particular case, it's a matter of wanting to print separate ranges on SEPARATE pages. There can be other situations where this Camera option is very useful in being able to place disjointed ranges together on ONE sheet. For example, different data that needs to be in separate areas because of requiring different column widths or some other reason, but then needs to be printed on ONE sheet - perhaps as part of a special form that shows this &quot;collection&quot; of data (pictures).

I hope this helps. :) Please advise as to how useful you find this option. I'm confident that once you start using this &quot;Camera&quot; (picture) option, you'll discover other areas where you can take advantage of your new-found &quot;photography skills&quot;.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Thanks guys for advise, Dale you gave a good suggestion as always in the past, I will try out your suggestion today or tomorrow, will give some feedback how it works.

Les

Les,

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to your update after you've checked out this &quot;Camera&quot; option.

The main reason for this additonal response is... I neglected to mention that in addition to being able to &quot;enlarge&quot; a picture, you can also &quot;reduce&quot; it when you click-and-drag a &quot;corner&quot; handle.

Regards, ...Dale

Thanks Dale, didn't know that one - That is neat isn't it. Wonder why they don't make more of it in documentation etc.

Regards
Ken..............

And just been having a bit of a play with it - In XL 2002, it also give you the option to rotate it, whereas in 2000 it doesn't. I seem to remember a post the other day re printing text upside down - In XL2002 this would do it, and you wouldn't even need any funny fonts.

Regards
Ken............

For anyone that's interested, the keyboard shortcut for this is firstly copy the range in question, then holding down SHIFT, do Edit / Paste Picture Link

Regards
Ken...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back