Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel XP/2000 Slow to open files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmyers

MIS
Aug 8, 2001
US
I have one PC on our network that is very slow in opening large files off the network (3MB). It can take about 1 to 2 minutes to open the file. However, I can open the same file on my PC in seconds. Both of us have the same PC configuration (CPU, RAM, etc.) and we both have Excel XP. I first thought that the antivirus software was scanning when opening files, but I have removed the antivirus (temporarily) and it still is slow. No addins are being loaded and the macro security is already set to low.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

The speed of access to your PC Hardrive is a lot faster than your network connection. You need to look into the speed of data transfer on your network connection.

Both PCs are on the same network and are at 100 MB per second. Don't think it is the speed of the data transfer. Opening large Word files, for example, do not have the speed issue, just large Excel files.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Does anyone have any additional advice? I am at a loss as to why one PC would open up the same Excel file a lot slower than another PC. I have completed Windows and Office updates as well. Everything else appears to be normal speed. It is just saving and opening larger Excel files where it takes about 5 seconds per block that appears when opening a file.

Thanks!

How are you opening the file?

Through Explorer or is Excel already open

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Excel is already open when I try and open the file.

Copy the file to the C drive and see if it takes a long time then. If it does then it's Excel on the PC, if it doesn't then it's a network issue

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer

Does the slow PC have any add-ins loaded? I've noticed since I started using the StatPro add-in that excel spreadsheets are extremely slow to load. Check the status bar at the bottom to see if anything is happening while the file is loading.

There are no addins checked. When we moved over the file to the C: drive, it opened fast -- like it does from the other PC (but the other PC is getting the file from the network). Both are 100BT Full connections. What could be causing the slowdown?

Thanks!

run a ping test, maybe you are loosing packets.. could be a bad cable, or port on the hub.

AT least you now know it's a network issue, most common cause would be the cable. Otherwise you may need someone to check the wiring.

Can you run a cable from the hub and see if that gets over the problem.

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer

Do you have Norton Antivirus installed on the slow computer?

Microsoft has this listed as a known problem. See support.microsoft.com and search for knowledge base article 262530 .

Hola,

I've read in some MS article that XP visual effects can casue some problem browsing/opening file over a network. Try disabling these effects ...

Hope this helps!

AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back