Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel .xlsm + Run time error 1004 Initialization of the data source failed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaimaaT

Programmer
Aug 18, 2014
EG
I am accessing a client .xlsm file from my machine and it works fine.

The client complains that he received a Run time error 1004 : Initialization of the data source failed.

So on trying on a different machine(connected to client's network) , I was able to reproduce this error.

I just don't understand how the very same file with the data source is connecting and working fine on my local machine whereas failing on the client network.

The .xlsm file on opening has data part(from access, from ..., existing connections) enabled then in a few seconds greyed out.

Any help please?

Since you are getting your data from Access, what is the location of Access that you are connecting to? Is it the same (location and structure of Access) on both: your machine and the client's? If Access is on the server, do you use UNC to point to that location, or are you using letter drive (Z:\Folder\AccessFile.mdb ) ? In this case your client may have this server as X:\ drive instead.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

This is the connection string of the excel macro file (.xlsm)

Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Password=dmdbal_v1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sco_dmdbal_v1;Data Source=ORAOBODSP01.eame.syngenta.org:1525/OBODSP;Extended Properties=

You are accessing an Oracle database, according to the connection string you previously posted!

This flies in the face of your very first statement...

"I am accessing a client .xlsm file from my machine..."

Please clearly, completely and concisely describe what is happening.

Are ALL the data resources on the client's network?

Since on YOUR machine the connection works, are the TNSNAMES on your machine and the client's machines identical, along with user ids and passwords?

I mean like I described I am having access to an .xlsm file and the datasource of this file is described in the connection string posted above which I can see from Connection Properties in the excel file.

The file itself was uploaded by client on teamspace. Accessing it from my machine worked fine.

Accessing it from a machine connected to client's network worked fine with one machine and reproduced the client's error with another machine.

So what should I be looking for in these 2 machines to know the difference and eventually make the file run successfully under any machine?

Has Oracle been properly installed and coordinated on all the client's PC's?

Oracle has been installed on the client's PC.

However, when I tried to install it on the machine causing error, it worked fine.

So maybe we just have to ask the client to re-install Oracle drivers right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back