Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel/Word 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idrahaje

Technical User
Nov 25, 2001
US
I am looking for a way to completely lock a document from being altered, renamed or saved as. I just want it to be printed as I set it up.
Any thoughts,
Thanks

You can password protect the document by selecting the Options tab on the File > Save As menu. The file can still be renamed, copied and deleted from Explorer, but the contents of the file will be protected.

You could write them as a .dot or .xla and protect and lock it down so that it cant be changed,put into a share and only give read permissions.

I have tried both of these I do not have the add-in to save as a .xla for Excel. Which is the main document I need to send via email. The document can still be modified and saved as a different file. Are there any other helpful suggestions.

I made a test file with the extention, .xla...

Now, i can't open the file. How can i open? When i try to open the .xla file, there is nothing showed.. I didn't set any password, any read only option. just save the file as .xla... Please let me know.

This is how I would do it:
1. Click "Save As"
2. Click "Tools" button in Save As Window (upper right corner)
3. At the drop down menu, choose "General Options"
4. At the bottom of this window, under File Sharing Options, type in a password to modify, click OK (It's VERY important that you remember your password, as I don't know of any way to retrieve it if you lose it)
5. Another window will pop up to confirm the password. Re-enter the password as requested.

And you can now only modify the document if you open it with the password. Viola~! Hope it helps.
~qtkat

Thanks for the helpful advise I tried what you said and was able to achieve view only however
I could still modify and print the changes made to the document.

doldol320 (MIS)
I have concluded that we need a special add-in program to save as an .xla

I would reccomend you try FreePDF from This program allows you to generate a PDF file from your office applications, by simply printing to a specially defined printer.

There are actually 3 programs involved:=

FreePDF (converts postscript to pdf)
Ghostview (generates postscript)
Redmon (port re-director)

Install freepdf and read instructions included, then Ghostview, then Redmon.

Whilst this isn't a trivial installation, it isn't all that difficult, and the final result is that you send you documents in PDF format, which is read only. Problem solved! If you get stuck, post back for assistance. Chris

It worked yesterday.
It doesn't work today.
That's Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back