Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel won't start 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonsi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2001
DE
I'm running a WK Dell Notebook and Excel has decided it doesn't want to play!

When I try to launch Excel it tells me that Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed down.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times without success but ...and this is the bit that is confusing me ...when I log onto the PC as Administrator to 'This computer' as the Domain, Excel launches fine. When I log as a Domain user (set up as an Administrator) for another domain (whether on line or not) Excel refuses to launch and tells me that Excel.exe has generated errors.

I tried the Repair Option in Office, I reinstalled Office OTT, I uninstalled and reinstalled with hard reboots inbetween. - nothing works with my username

any ideas?

hwyl
Jonsi B-)
"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science & technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science & technology"

Sounds like the toolbar customisation for the default profile may be corrupt. Go search for *.xlb, and when you find it, either delete the thing or just rename it to *.xlbOLD if you prefer. Now try to restart Excel.

Regards
Ken.............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Thanks Ken ...worked a treat. You are a STAR!
One to remember methinks

hwyl
Jonsi B-)

LOL - Glad it worked for you - It was the 'Only happens to Excel' bit that took me there. IT's also the reason why it happens to different IDs on the same machine, because each one will have it's own profile. Thsi file is created by the app when you customise your toolbar, so it is not put there by the install prog. Hence, when you install and re-install it is not affected, so does not fix it. You have to manually fix it as described.

Problem seems to be fixed for XP onwards though.

Regards
Ken...............

Thanks Ken. I had the same problem as Jonsi, and had been searching for days trying to find a fix. Yours worked a treat. Cheers!

My pleasure :)

Hi, we are using shared workbooks (Excel 2000/Windows 2000), and when a user tries to open the shared workbook, the message "Excel has generated errors" appears. The error message tells me that an error log is being generated.

Tried renaming the *.xlb file - this did not resolve it.
Tried saving the file with Excel XP, and having the user go in with their Excel 2000 - this did not resolve it.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back