Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel won't save file. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

klownska

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
AU
Hi I have a user who is trying to save an excel document she has been working on all day, the file is large but she works on it weekly, and it is no bigger than last week. We are unable to save, save as, or even send to. When trying to save it will sit there for ages and eventually pop up a box saying document not saved. When trying to send as attachment nothing happens at all. I have attempted to save as a different name and it will change the name on the top of the page, when sending as attachment it says saving temporary file as it is waiting. I know excel saves temp files in case you have a system crash, but where does it save it's temp files to? I have searched the drive but there is no mention of any of the filenames I have tried to save it as.

Ok I just tried to recreate this and I cannot. I was saving to the workbook to a drive I had mapped and halfway through I disconnected this drive and it said "Document not saved" then I chose save as and chose c:\temp and it worked. So I'm not able to recreate the problem by a network disconnection???

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

nope - it is Excel's own "memory" of the connection that gets fouled up - that's why reconnection doesn't work when it happens "properly"

Rgds, Geoff

Never test the depth of water with both feet

Help us to help you by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Brilliant tip Geoff!

One could of course create a macro to copy all the sheets in the workbook as Geoff suggested. Next time your user has the problem they just open the file containing the macro, return to the file that is not saving then run the macro (which you have set up to run on the active workbook).

A useful bit of code to have available in Personal.xls. I guess it could be developed to copy code modules as well, close the original file and save the new one with the same name and location as the original (or will they have been 'forgotten'?). If anyone has anything like that then I would be most grateful as we are often getting these problems......Now, how do I deal with the one where the server has run out of space... I guess modify the above to save on a local drive...

Good luck.
Gavona

xlbo,

I may need to post this as a new thread, but first want to make sure it's not the same issue as this thread.

Have a user in another location who opens a complex worbook template I created, saves a blank copy, pastes in data, and then is unable to save to a network drive. She IS still able to save to her local drive, and then can copy the file to the network in Explorer.

Sound like a different issue or the same one? There's far too much code, etc. to talk her through copying everything to a fresh workbook over the phone, so I haven't tried that yet.

VBAjedi [swords]

Sorry Jedi - don't think it's the same issue. Whenever I have seen this (and admittedly, I havn't seen it much since we moved off '97), it has been impossible to save anywhere - not just the network

Rgds, Geoff

Never test the depth of water with both feet

Help us to help you by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Geoff,

Thanks. This issue is now

thread68-845958

Have a good day!

VBAjedi [swords]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor