Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Web Page browser compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

flareman

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Along with others (see thread68-444883) I like to display an Excel sheet on a Web Page but I'm running into the matter of incompatibility with Netscape and Opera browsers.
Does anyone know how to get round this? Is there any html or java code which can fudge the compatibility?
I'm pretty sure that viewing also needs excel to be resident on the computer with the browser. That also raises the issue of my potential Mac user viewers. Any insights would be appreciated.
Thanks
[ponder]
David

why would you want to display your file in an excel format. Why not convert it to .pdf and then it is cross platform compatible.

You have too many problems putting none pdf or html or other web specific file types on the internet. You could be eliminating a lot of potential visiters who do not have the product on their machine or even the right version.

Acrobat reader is a free adobe download so that your viewers can download it at no cost and if you provide a link on your page to adobe if they don't already have the reader they can quickly download it.

I have worked on web pages for several years and I have always found that using web specific programs and files is always best. You have enough compatibility issues to deal with already, browser types, version and even individual setting that people use on their own machine.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back