Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel VBA - UDF errors with SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrirshowl

Technical User
Apr 29, 2003
GB
Hi guys

I just realised I stupidly posted this in the Visual Basic Databases forum. So, on my second attempt.....

As the subject line basically explains, we have some user defined functions in use within the company which no longer work with service pack 3 of Excel. With SP2 they work fine.

The UDFs are stored in the form of an add-in, which I think may have been written in VB and compiled, just in case that helps. It is certainly not a file I can access and lift code from and "dump" into an new SP3 add in file. (I am not the author unfortunately).

Has anyone else had any similar issues, and know of a quick fix? Our current thought is to regress to SP2 (until such time as we can get an new add-in written/compiled which is SP3 friendly) but I'm hoping there is a checkbox in some menu item somewhere which will offer a quicker and more efficient solution.

Regards and thanks

Fen

Depending who 'owns' the code you are trying to access it might be a good idea to acutally contact the author.

You are saying that you can't access the file - is it dll library? Check the folder where your .dll file is stored perhaps you will find there another file with .vbp extension - that is the project file (i.e. the code before compilation). I think you will need VB6 software to do it
which you can download from rapidshare :

Thanks bartrein, there is a dll file, but the other is an xla file that doesn't reference it in any of the Private Subs therein.

Thanks for the .vbp extension tip though.

Fen

Hi Fen,

Late reply, I know, but if you still have the issue -- You don't say if there's a Sharepoint site involved anywhere, but just in case, I thought I'd point you to the following MS KB article, with link to hotfix included:

My issue was that after Excel was upgraded to SP3, linked lists which came from a Sharepoint 2007 server were marked as read-only. I first thought it was a VBA-related problem, because my macros were failing -- but they were only failing because the read-only issue kept them from updating cells.

There are a number of hotfixes included in the bundle from the link. If Sharepoint is involved in your issue, you should synchronize the list after you install the hotfixes, otherwise it will look like your problem is still there. (Once you sync, the problem goes away.)

That's what worked for me, hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back