Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel VBA Error (Locking Excel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercSKelley

Technical User
May 4, 2005
US
I have a program written in Germany that errors out each time I open the file. The problem is that is locks excel up so I have to use the task manager to shut excel down. i want to look at the code to try and find the error but I haven't found a way to just open it without the macro automatically starting.

You can change the security level in Excel so it doesn't run macro's or asks you whether you want to allow them etc. It is in Tools-->Macro-->Security...

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Help us to help you,
read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

Another way is to open the file with the Shift key depressed.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

As Harley said, setting the security level to medium/normal, and disabling macros when asked does the trick.

But you can normally abort the code once it's running, by multiple times pressing [ESC]. Then you'll (probably) be asked wether to abort or debug. Choose debug, and you'll face the code in VBE.

// Patrik

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the IT Professional, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back