Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel VB How To Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce007

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
Does any one know how to read in an entire sheet into an array quickly?

Bruce,

A worksheet contains 256*65536 cells, why would you want to store this amount of data in an array. Excel already does this to some extent in the sheet itself so by putting it into a new array, you're storing the same data twice in memory and this will obviously make everything very slow.

Perhaps you could post a little more info regarding what you're trying to achieve.

Leigh Moore
Solutions 4 MS Office Ltd

Hi Bruce007,

Guess it depends what you mean by quickly [wink]

A single statement - myArray = Cells should do it but I run out of memory if I try it. More practically, perhaps, myArray = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells will probably do what you want, but a worksheet is already an array so why do you need a copy of it in your code?

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question.

Bruce,

And the reason is....
Code:
Dim Myarray()
Sub Atest()
    Dim MyArray()
    ReDim MyArray(2, ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Count)
    i = LBound(MyArray, 2)
    For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
        MyArray(0, i) = c.Value
        MyArray(1, i) = c.Row
        MyArray(2, i) = c.Column
        i = i + 1
    Next
End Sub
???

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thanks for the information. I guess that I should have been a little more detailed in what I am doing. I am bring data in from other workbooks into mine. From here I will be working the data. I have been accessing the combined data as Worksheets(name).cells(row,col).value. Is there a better way? Mention was made that the worksheet is already an array in memory so does that mean that Worksheets(name).cells(row,col).value is a memory resident array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back