Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Unable to Read File

Status
Not open for further replies.

futbuk

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
CA
Trying to open an excel 2000 file that has been working properly for over 2 years and suddenly it comes back telling me: "Unable to read file". I have no idea why this has occured nor can I correct it. Any suggestions?

I hate to sound pessimistic, but do you have back-ups of this file?

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Do you have any later version of Excel available as these have an 'Open and repair' option in them that may help.

Failing that, the free Office suite 'OpenOffice' avialable from openoffice.org is excellent at repairing corrupt Excel files, even when Excel can't!!! It's a 70Mb download though, and it's OpenOffice.calc that you want when you get the suite installed.

Regards
Ken...........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ken,

I tried the detect and repair in Office 2003. I lost all my formats and graphs. All the data was there but.... It'll take a long time to replace everything. As for backups, I'm still waiting for the I.S. guys to restore a backup. Like to rely on that but I'm going to try your suggestion. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back