Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel to XML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2008
US
I am new to XML.

I have an XML document that I open with Excel, I then need to make changes and save it back as an XML document. However, when I attempt to do the save I receive the following error "Cannot save or export XML data. The XML maps in this workbook are not exportable." Any suggestions?

I have looked at the site you rlink points to before. I am able to bring teh XMl file into Excel, and move the contents of the XML file to the Excel spreadsheet. I am not able to get the Excel spreadsheet to export back out to XML.

I receive the following error "Cannot save or export XML data. The XML maps in this workbook are not exportable.

Maybe you had looked at it but not read it.

I just got done reading the information on the provided link. I see that they talk about the error messages I am getting, but I am not understanding what I need to do in order to correct the errors.

It's because Excel does not import the XML data properly( for an immediate export.. You will need to adjust it before you can export it. It needs to be set up a little bit further before you can export it... This should be a once shot deal. You dont need to do it every single time...

This is a little bit hard for me to direct you because I can not see your excel or XML file... I will show you my own example...

It is pretty simple but you need to know what to do...

This is my own XML file adjust it to your own file accordingly...

This is the way it looks when first import xml to Excel:

First Resize the List: knowing whereto begin and end can take some playing around on your part.

Then you will have to remap some of the elements once again.. In my example it looks like this.

Here is what it looks like when its finished:

There is a link on the bottom of the XML source task pane. Verify Map for Export.... You can click on that.. If it says denormalized data.. It is not good.... If it says your map is exportable then you have it..

Also try searching google for denormalized data...

Its not about resizing its about restructuring it...... I suggest you print the images i posted and read what someone else posted again... Then you can ask Microsoft directly why this is...

And then do a google search for Denormalized data....

I have done searches on Denormalized data, but I have not been able to get issue resolved.

I will print out the pictures you posted, and re-read the other post to see if I can figure anything out.

Thank you everyone for all the help.

When I resize the list, I do not get the Denormalized data error. I get the List of lists error.

I hope you have a good reason for using excel to manipulate XML files ...

Cheers,
Dian

Dian, would you have a better suggestion. I am about at the end of my rope, so I will be more than happy to hear any suggestions.

You can try office forum.
The idea generally comes out loud and clear from the reference is that it is not allowed to import with a predfined schema an arbitrary ooxml-format xml and that it is not allowed to export an arbitrary excel spreedsheet to ooxml-formatted xml with a predefined schema. That seems clear. The article gives you the constraints spreedsheet must observe in order to be exportable. In the stage where you're editing the spreedsheet, there is such a degree of freedom that you can do: chances are those constraints are no longer valid after the editing. So the office forum might give you better advice what not to do during editing and also you would feel more comfortable to reveal what you do in that stage as you would feel you have the right audience as peers.

If I can provide more information, please let me know.

I will look into an XML editor.

Thank you to everyone who has given some insight to my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back