Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Time Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarFleet

Technical User
Sep 18, 2000
GB
I am trying to design a basic time recording spreadsheet.
I habve a morning start time, morning finish time, lunchtime then afternoon start and finish time. This is set against a target time of 37 hours per week. The times are formatted as [h]:mm:ss. If the week's time exceeds 37 hours, excel calculates the difference, but if the week's time is less than 37 hours, the cell shows: ########.
Any ideas?

Thanks [sig][/sig]

If you could show us the formula you are using we may be able to give you some idea where the problem is.

If you expand the column that has the ######## in it you will probably see some kind of error message. [sig][/sig]

I understand what you mean by expanding the cell, but if I do that I just get more #.
The formula I have used is weekly total = 51:15:00 (which is the total hours for one week, subtracted from the tasrget of 37:00:00 which gives me 14:15:00. The problem is if the weekly total is less than 37:00:00 e.g. 35:00:00 subtracted fronm 37:00:00 doesn't give me (02:00:00)but the series of hash signs, ######.
Is it possible to send the spreadsheet to you? It is only 25kb. [sig][/sig]

You said
The formula I have used is weekly total = 51:15:00 (which is the total hours for one week, subtracted from the tasrget of 37:00:00 which gives me 14:15:00.

but if youre getting 14:15:00 it is actually WeeklyTotal - 37:00:00 so if weekly total is 35:00:00
35:00:00 - 37:00:00 is -2:00:00, not 2:00:00 as you are expecting.

I would expect to get an error when trying to format a negative number as a time. You cant have a negative time.

You can email me the spreadsheet if you like and i will take a look at it. [sig]<p>Ruairi<br><a href=mailto:ruairi@logsoftware.com>ruairi@logsoftware.com</a><br>[/sig]

You can send the workbook to me if you would like. I'll fix the problem and return it to you.

Bob Crawford
bobc@san.rr.com [sig][/sig]

Really a very good site, which can solve a lots of problems in Excel.

TapanKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back