Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Text Import Wizard in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DQR

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
We've just taken delivery of a batch of new Windows XP PCs. Excel 2000 is installed on all of them, but we're apparently unable to import ASCII text files into any of them. Instead, we're getting the following message:

"The file cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding."

None of these is true. I'm wondering if the problem is that Text Import Wizard is not installed. I'm not sure however, and anyway, I don't know how to install it, since none of the add-ins is called this. Has anybody got any ideas please?

Many thanks for any help offered,
DQR

As an additional piece of information, we've discovered that files stored on the PC's local drive ARE accessible using the text wizard. Only the ones stored on the network aren't. So I'm wrong about the text import wizard.

However, those same files on the network are perfectly accessible by Word, Notepad or any other package. Only Excel can't seem to get at them.

Any ideas anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back