Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Text Color Filter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewfieGolfer

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
CA
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to filter a row by the color of the text contained in each cell. I think if there was a way to determine what the cell text color is using a formula then it would be no problem, just use the criteria in the advanced filter. But, is there a way to find out what color the text is using a formula. That is, can I return a numerical value for the text color.

Thanks,
NG

Hi,

Nope!

But this function will. Cut 'n' Paste into a Module. Use just like any other spreadsheet function...
Code:
Function TextColorIndex(rng)
  With rng
    If .Count > 1 Then Exit Function
    TextColorIndex = .Font.ColorIndex
  End With
End Function
:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq222-2244

nope - not without VBA

Your best bet is to add a column and to create a formula that mimics your reasoning for colouring the cells - then filter on that column

Rgds, Geoff

Never test the depth of water with both feet

Help us to help you by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

The above Function works great, but it doesn't refresh if I change the color of the text in the cell. Is there a refresh command I can put in this function?

Thanks,
NG

Code:
Function TextColorIndex(rng)
  Application.Volatile
  With rng
    If .Count > 1 Then Exit Function
  End With
End Function
Volatile MAY help, but the biggest condition is a recalculation of the sheet. Merely changing a font color is connected to no detectable event.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq222-2244

Skip - will that work - changing the colour of the text won't cause a recalc so App.Volatile shouldn't make a difference....

You may be able to do something with one of the GET.CELL functions - there is one that returns the colour of the 1st character in a cell - more info on the MSKB - I'd be careful if you do persue this route though as it is no longer technically supported by MS - you can only use it because they've left it in there for backwards compatability

Rgds, Geoff

Skip,

I am trying to use the above code to find the colour of a cell, not the colour of the text. But I can't even get the code to work and find the colour of the text.

It obviously works so it must be me (again)

I have cut and paste it into a module and it's not working...how do I get it to run?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

after pasting into a module, enter this into a cell on the spreadsheet
=TextColorIndex(A1)

where you want to test A1

Please see notes about recalculation however

To get the BACKGROUND colour of the cell, amend

to

TextColorIndex = .INTERIOR.ColorIndex

Rgds, Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks.

This works by giving the number associated with that colour.

What I would like to do is within a spreadhsheet I have data in columns from A to J with data underneath to, say 200 rows.

Coulmns A, C and D will have cells that are colour coded.

I would like to filter on this colours.

Is the only way to add a column and use the above VBA code?

TIA
Mark

yup - there is NO standard functionality to determine ANYTHING by colour. Your best bet is to include a formula that replicates the logic used to colour the cells and filter on that instead.....hmmmm....deja vu - that's exactly what I've already stated at the top of this thread

Rgds, Geoff

Yesterday it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

I know, I know...thanks.

Geoff, when I put in a Function into a module I don't seem to have it to be active in every workbook.

I know how to save a standard macro as an add-in, how do I get to save a 'function' macro as an add-in.

Again, thanks for your help.

Same way as far as I know
Either that or put it in your PERSONAL.xls file

Rgds, Geoff

Yesterday it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Thanks again.

Being a bit cheeky here, but if you time could look at the post I have in called 'Deleting Duplicate Rows with Advance Filter' that would really help...no-one seems to have an answere yet, or it's probaby the way I've worded it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back