Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel, Sumif match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jma

Technical User
Apr 24, 2001
US
I am trying to do a value on accounts... ie; my sheet is like this

bobs towing 445.00
sallys hairshop 334.00
bobs towing 556.00
toms deli 1100.00
sallys hairshop 600.00

I'm paring down, my sheet is actually about 20 columns wide and thousands of client names...
so each time it finds bobs towing I want it to add the number column and put that result in a new column...so..
in the end i will have bobs towing $10,324.00 and it will be every amount bobs towing has on that spread sheet summed into new column... I'm new at these formulas, I have searched hi and low on internet, and this site...i see lots of ways to sumif but not quite what i need...

Thanks so much

SUMIF is designed to search a single column like:
=SUMIF(A:A,"bobs towing",B:B)
This formula adds the values in column B where column A is bobs towing.

If you need to search multiple columns, you can try a construction like:
=SUMIF(A1:E8000,"bobs towing",B1:F8000)
This will look in columns A:E, and whenever it finds "bobs towing" will add the value in the column to the right.

SUMIF is case insensitive.

I need the "bobs towing" to be a variable...ie: any time data in that column matches then sum column b...
so, find me all of one client name and total it... I won't be putting name in on each one...so can I do that somehow?

Thanks so much...

bobs towing" could be a cell reference (if you had a list of clients):
=SUMIF(A:A,AA1,B:B)
=SUMIF(A1:E8000,AA1,B1:F8000)

If you don't have a list of clients, then consider using a PivotTable.

So
I need it to search "rec" and anytime there is a match i need it to add "amt" and put it in a new column..so below it would grab ACTIS-1, and add 17.00 and 584.00...but this list is thousands long so that is why i can't put the "match" name in exactly... I'm sorry i hope I haven't made this more confusing...I just really need help here! I'm a little desperate...!!
thanks so much...
amt Type Rec date
$14.00 BOPA ABRAP-1 07/16/A3
$949.78 BOPA ABSOP-1 06/16/A4
$17.00 BOPA ACTIS-1 02/19/A4
$584.00 BOPA ACTIS-1 06/26/A3
$500.00 BOPA ADAIA-1 06/05/A4
$500.00 BOPA ADAMA-1 02/06/A4
$375.00 BOPA ADMIW-1 09/02/A3

Please try creating a PivotTable:
1) Select your data (amt, Type, Rec and date), including the headings
2) Choose the Data...PivotTable and PivotChart Report menu item
3) Choose PivotTable and click Next twice
4) Choose "Put data in new worksheet" and click Finish
5) Drag Rec to the "Drop row fields here" of PivotTable
6) Drag amt to the "Drop data items here" of PivotTable

The PivotTable will automatically identify the unique Rec items and then sum up the amt.

I sure appreciate you helping me with this...we are onto something...this pivot table is telling me how many of each entry there is...but i need to identify that there are 3 of same "rec" and then add the "amt" field for those three "rec" and total it ...I'm going to keep playing with it...but i'm hopeful you are still out there today!! Thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back