Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Stand Alone Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkriese

Technical User
May 18, 2003
US
Can anyone advise me - I am creating an interactive excel spreadsheet for a client who is not computer literate. It is for project management. I wish there was an MDE for excel, but we all know there isn't. Can all of you advise the best way to make this spreadsheet appear a a standalone application, so that the client cannot make any errors. I want just the toolbars to show what they will be needing, I have sheet and cell protection, drop down lists for data selection, formulas for automatic calculation, and macros to update and post to the final report.

If want the end user to prevented from entering your code in your excel app you goto tools/properties and enter a password for this vba code and threby protect it.

Rgds
Herman

There's a lot to it.
Start by making a home page.
Draw textboxes on it that look like command buttons or even round circles...
Make them hyperlinks to various worksheets.
I always hide (at the end) column A and row 1. Then, I always make each sheet open to A1 selected. That way there is "no" cell selected when the user gets to that sheet. I almost always turn gridlines off.

I'd be happy to make specific suggestions if you want to send it: Anne@TheOfficeExperts.com

Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

take a lok at the draft sheets I started

The weekly sheet (ex3) needs to post to the monthly sheet (ex4) which is then used to create a draft invoice which is sent to the parent company for final invoicing.

The shaded area are the protected areas of the shet, the non-shaded are for the client to enter the hours in ex3.

The best I have been able to come up with to post to the monthly is a macro that cuts and pastes the client info, and part two macro that posts to the dates of 1-31.

THe spreadsheet has to integrate with another accounting program, and I was advised that I could only use excel, otherwise I would have to create an access database that exports to excel that imports to another app, too many steps

Not really.
You could have the Excel file exported automatically at a given event, such as closing of the database or with the click of a button using a built-in "transfer spreadsheet" macro.
You'll need a bunch of VBA to do it in Excel, while Access will likely do most of this with no VBA or with only built-in macros. Seriously...

Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

I was advised by the application developer Timberline to use excel, really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back