Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Spreadsheet Too Large for Number of Rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex20850

Programmer
Mar 28, 2003
US
I received a spreadsheet with just 185 rows and 7 columns and no formulas, but it is a 3MEG file!
I have highlighted all rows below the data and deleted them. Then, I highlighted all columns to the right of the data and deleted them and saved the file and it still comes in at 3MEG. What gives?

Have you tried copying the data to another spreadsheet?

Randy

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, when you DELETE...

it IS NOT, 1) select a range and 2) hit the DELETE key. This procedure merely does a Clear Contents!

It IS RATHER, 1) select a range and 2) Edit > DELETE or right-click > DELETE.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

GREAT SUGGESTION to copy!!
I did a copy and paste to a blank spreadsheet and it went from 3 MEG to 41K.

alex, what method were you using to DELETE the rows & columns?

Skip,
[sub]

That was what was puzzling me. I DID do a delete. I never use clear. I just did it again. I highlighted all the rows below the data and did Edit, Delete. I highlighted all the columns to the right of the data and did Edit, Delete. Still 3+Meg. I even tried copy, paste special, values to the same spreadsheet and it is still the same size.

I just highlighted the data and pressed Delete and saved it. Still 3+ Megs.

Did you read my previous post about why that did not work and what DELETE method would work?

Skip,
[sub]

There is the same problem with WORD. If you delete some pictures or text from a document, you do not reduce the size. You must copy the remaining text to a new document to reduce the size.

@Skip: I think he did it correctly based on this sentence: "I highlighted all the rows below the data and did Edit, Delete."

@Alex: Considering the fact that Skip had just pointed out that pressing the [Delete] key merely clears cells instead of actually deleting them, your saying, "I never use clear" kind of implies that you didn't REALLY read his post.

Assuming you did use Edit > Delete (or Right Click > Delete), another possible explanation is that there could be one or more hidden sheets in the workbook.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

I did read his email. That is why I said I used Edit, Delete.

"I highlighted all the rows below the data and did Edit, Delete. I highlighted all the columns to the right of the data and did Edit, Delete."

Copying is a way out, not a solution. You need to check if you have mutliple instances of the Workbook taking place.

Need to make sure that under Tools, Options, Transition, nothing is checked.

Also after doing Edit, Clear below data; also do Edit, Delete like Skip suggested. Same for right of Data.

Also, highlight whole worksheet and go to Format, Row, Autofit. Then see if Excel reports the last cell to be your actual last cell.

Canadian eh! Check out the new social forum Tek-Tips in Canada.
With the state of the world today, monkeys should get grossly insulted when humans claim to be their decendents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back