Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel sort and delete duplicates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECNET

Technical User
Apr 28, 2001
GB
OK, I feel this is a easy one for you to answer, but I can't think of an easy solution. Scenario is; I have a long list of Names(Total), a report is run on these Names(Total), the output is then another list of Names(Found). I would like an easy way of removing the Names(Found) from the Names(Total) list, so that I can then run the report again from the now updated Names(Total) list. The idea being that each time the report runs (this report is seperate to Excel and takes it's data from a .txt file that I copy from the spreadsheet), the report run then gets shorter as the list of Names(Total) decreases.

I hope you get the idea, Excel is only a convenient App. to sort the data, the report runs (DOS batch script) from a .txt file copied and pasted from Excel. I just need to be able to whittle the list down without having to manually delete the Names(Found) from the Names(Total) list.

Simple problem very long winded explaination, sorry. DEC

If it helps, let me know, if it doesn't, let me know. It's the only way I'll learn.

The report you are running is going to be circular until (I guess) you get to zero names in your Names(Total) list.

I think the only way to do that is using VBA, but you could do this using formulas, except I can't think of a way of removing the found names from the total names list without creating a new (updated) total names list.

Both options are available here:

Spot on Hasit, the formula for 'highlighting' duplicates has done the trick. I can now spot the duplicates, sort the list and delete the duplicates. It's still a manual option, but I can do in 30 seconds, what I used to do in 30 minutes!!

Many thanks. DEC

If it helps, let me know, if it doesn't, let me know. It's the only way I'll learn.

Have you tried Running a combination of a Pivot Table and Vlookup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back