Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Solver Constraint lost when using VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

popper

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
AU
I am using Excel Solver under control of VBA. When I have a constraint with an upper and lower bound, one of these is lost. For example if A1 contains a decision variable and I have

A1<=1
A1>=0

the second one simply disappears when using VBA. I would really appreciate advice on how to get around this apparent bug.

Thanks

You can set your constraints right in vba. For example
SolverOk SetCell:="$E$19", MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:="54", ByChange:="$D$19"
SolverAdd CellRef:="$D$19", Relation:=1, FormulaText:="2"
SolverAdd CellRef:="$D$19", Relation:=3, FormulaText:="-3"
SolverOk SetCell:="$E$19", MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:="54", ByChange:="$D$19"
SolverSolve
Above has two constraints on cell D19. Worked fine for me.

Is the problem that you it to remember constraints from a previous run and those appear to be disappearing? Can you add them in vba?

Is this behavior different in vba then when you run solver directly thru excel?

I forgot to say: if you are going to define your problem in vba, you need a reset command first to remove previous problem defintiion:

SolverReset

Hi Thanks for your reply. No, I did everything you did, including the reset and it was still problematic.

However, since posting my problem, I did manage to get around it. Perhaps I was in error but this is what I was doing originally for a multiple set of decision variables:

SolverAdd CellRef:="$D$19:$D$21", Relation:=1, FormulaText:="2"
SolverAdd CellRef:="$D$19:$D$21", Relation:=3, FormulaText:="-3"

That is, I thought I was placing the same constant constraint for each of them and this would not work. Now, I place the constraint constants 2 and -3 in a range (say columns E and F) and then do the following:

SolverAdd CellRef:="$D$19:$D$21", Relation:=1, FormulaText:="$E$19:$E$21"
SolverAdd CellRef:="$D$19:$D$21", Relation:=3, FormulaText:="$F$19:$F$21"

This works. However, if I do each decision variable separately, as shown in my first post, the problem remains.

I am using Excel 2003 and cannot find any documentation about this problem.

But thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back