Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel slow to open with Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhig

MIS
Jun 25, 2007
US
Hi,

I not sure how to troubleshoot this because I think it is just how Charts work in general, but maybe someone has a suggetion.

Bascially one of my users has 3 or 4 spreadsheets that have 3 sheets to them. Each one of the spreadsheets has a sheet with a chart on them.

The files are saved on our file server where other users can access them. They are all complaining about these spreadsheets, saying that they are all very very slow to open.

Now we have several spreadsheets and the ones without charts open just fine.

Any suggestions or is it just the way spreadsheets work?

John

How big are these workbooks?

Do they have alot of formulas?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Well I think it is the way it is set up because looking at it again the file size is 35 mb.

That can take a minute or two I suppose.

It does not have a lot of formulas. The sheet that has the data on it has about 53 records.

I am going through it now to see how it got to a 35mb size file.

It has 4 worksheets; 2 of which are setup to be like a form, 1 has the data records and 1 has the chart.

You didn't mention version. Excel 2007 with charts is s....l....o....w to open

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

I would ...

1. try Help > Detect & repair

Then if the problem persists...

2. copy the DATA on each sheet (NOT THE SHEET) into a new workbook. Reconstruct the chart.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Come to think of it, I shouldn't even be answering; since I am here only when opportunity pops up it's head. Very rarely I can reply back.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Ok. Will try that and let you know. Thank You.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back