Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - Slope/Trend Functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennilein

Technical User
Mar 17, 2003
US
Not sure if this is more an excel questions, or basic math - but here goes...

I have several products and a 2-digit number that represents each sales month. I ran a cross tab in access to pull my total sales per month, per product and exported to excel.

Now...my products are in column A, and from D - S are my consecutive sales months (represented by a 2 digit number). I wanted to see if my sales are increasing or decreasing, I used a slope function like this:
=SLOPE(D2:S2,$D$1:$S$1). Would a trend function be better? If so, how does that work? I can't figure out what my "new x's" would be? Any statistical experts out there? I also saw a Growth function - anyone know anything about that one?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Jennilein

Jennilein,

If you plotted each row (as y-axis data) against the dates (as x-axis data) and added a LINEAR trendline for any series, the SLOPE of the trendline would be what the SLOPE function calculates for any series.

The TREND function is used to generate a staight line from known x & y values.

What is your objective?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

My objective is to see if sales are declining or increasing over time.

I already have the information plotted as you described...that's what I used the slope function with. So, I guess I'm on the right track, right?

Thanks.
Jennilein

Of course, the slope depends on the sample interval. Would you ues ALL the data from the beggining of time or the last lear or 6-months????

You'd get a different answer with each one.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back