Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel simple formula and cell usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmiocid

Technical User
Jul 29, 2007
ES

Hello

I'm trying to make a simple table in Excel to enter data and 3 cells at the bottom to calculate values like this

Issue Size Gross cost

Total Gross cost
Less 15% commission
Total net cost

I don't know how to create the formulae (say, =C3:C10)to add up the cells, as the cells will be filled up after, and the number will depend on how many cells will be input when the users enter the different data

Thanks for your help

Hi,

"to add up the cells" SUM()

Also, it is not a good practice to put your own aggragations below a table, as the table often need to expand the number of rows, so you ALWAYS need to adjust the range -- LABOR consuming and ERROR prone! YUK!

If you are using Excel 2007+ then use the Insert > Table feature, which also has some built-in aggregating features that you can easily turn on & off.

If you are using Excel 97-2003, check out the Data > List feature which is similar but limited.

I hardly EVERY, put aggregations below a table. Rather I put my aggregations ABOVE the table, where the usere never has to reconnoiter to discover the 'bottom line!'

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for answering. I don´t understand it when u say I shouldnt put aggregations at the bottom of the list, if the table needs to calculate the gross cost of the items listed, I will need to put those at the bottom... I am totally lost mate!

I am attaching the table I want to make where you can see the totals at the bottom. The idea is I need to make that table as a template with just the headings and formulae, so that the users can then fill in the data and have the totals done automatically for them...

http://www.mediafire.com/?igautyplpra8ark
You say about the totals ...
I will need to put those at the bottom
Why? Why the bottom? Is it just because that's the way it's always been done? If you put them in an area above the table they will be easy to find.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

There is an important distinction to make about aggregations.

There are Tables with 'built-in' aggregations, like the Data > SubTotal FEATURE or the Structured Table with 'built-in' aggregations WITHIN the table structure.

I am referring to aggregations that reside OUTSIDE of the table structure. There is every reason, in most cases, for these Grand Aggregations to reside in a fixed location ABOVE a table.

Challenge your thinking!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back