Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel -- Retaining Color Shading in Combo Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImASig

Technical User
Jul 24, 2000
US
I have an excel spreadsheet with one column as a combo box whose list is populated from values on another sheet in the same workbook. It is set up as so:

Sheet1

Name | Value | Type
PartA $100 (Combo Box Selection)
PartB $200 (Combo Box Selection)

Sheet2

TypeList|
TypeA1 (Shaded Red)
TypeA2 (Shaded Red)
TypeB1 (Shaded Blue)
TypeB2 (Shaded Blue)

What is want is the shading color to carry over to sheet 1 when I make the type selection from the combo box. Is this possible or will I have to shade the selection manually on sheet 1?

Hi,

Take a look at Format/Conditional Formatting.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]To be safe on the FOURTH, don't take a FIFTH on the THIRD, or...
You might not come FORTH on the FIFTH! [bomb][tongue][/sub]

I did this and I ran into a couple of problems. First I couldn't reference a cell on a different sheet. So I moved my list over to sheet1 just to see if I could get it to go. The next problem I encountered was that it seems I can only create 3 conditions. I have more than 3 colors I need so that didn't seem to fit my needs either. I'm guessing it's gonna have to be a VB thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back