Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - removing year from date values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCCC

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
Hey all,

I want to publish a birthday list with all the dates in order from Jan 1 to Dec 31.

My database contains entire birthdates including the year. So it sorts from oldest people to youngest.

How do I extract just the day and month info (or to put it another way, discard the year info) to get my list to sort correctly? I already know how to use the Format command to not *show* the year.

Thanks,

Dan

Create a new column and enter the following formula in the first cell and drag down your entire column:
Code:
=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd")
Cell A1 should oviously be replaced with the actual cell that contains your complete date. You should now be able to sort by the actual mon/day.

Dan.

Note: You'll need to cut/paste special/values before you can sort on month.

John

Every generalization is false, including this one.
-Unknown

Dan,

Worked like a charm. Probably lots of people knew the answer to this one, but you were the first.

Thanks!

dan

Hi,

All you need to do is format the Date column WITHOUT the year. You do NOT need another column, necessarily.

Skip,
[sub]
[red]Be advised:[/red] [glasses]
Alcohol and Calculus do not mix!
If you drink, don't derive! [tongue][/sub]

Skip,

If you just change formatting, the year will still determine how the column sorts, or am I missing something?

John

Every generalization is false, including this one.
-Unknown

John,

You're absolutely correct. I missed the sort part. [blush]

Skip,
[sub]

Interestingly enough, using the full date, you can do a simple pivot table and group by Month & Day a get the desired result.

I prefer to do as much as I can WITHOUT spreadsheet formulas if I can use a reporting tool instead.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back