Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Remove row without breaking formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

klunde

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2004
SE
Hi

I have a spreadsheet with two sheets. On sheet two I have a list of formulas where the first 50 rows refers to one!a1..a50.

Now the problem:

I want my list on sheet two to ALWAYS refer to the cells a1 to a50, but if I on sheet one removes row 18, row 18 on sheet two ends up with a row saying #REF.

How can I avoid this?

</Morten>

</Morten>

Use the INDIRECT function to generate the references, like:
=INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1")

or maybe
=INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&ROW())

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Hi,

If the row that you remove was reference by another cell, (quite often the previous or next row), then you must repair the formulas(s) affected: the one(s) containing the #REF! error.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

If in row x no references to cells in other row, then you can add/delete rows after selection of two sheets (with CTRL key).

combo

Thanks Glenn. The next thing would be to figure out how to apply an =INDIRECT() command on all my 597 existing formulas since you can't create an =indirect() and drag it to expand / increase the formulas.

SkigVought and Combo:

You didn't get the question.

</Morten>

</Morten>

Correction. The =INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&ROW()) actually enables me to expand the formula.

</Morten>

Glad that I could help. :-D

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back