Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Redaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkaplan

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
US
I have a user that wants to remove (redact) information from an Excel spreadsheet (2010), then send that spreadsheet to a third party. They want to be certain that someone at the other end cannot see the information they have deleted.

To be clear: they are not deleting entire rows, they are simply selecting the info in specific cells and hitting the delete key.

After the deletions, they save the spreadsheet and email it as an attachment.

Is this foolproof? i.e. could someone at the other end restore what they have deleted?

Deleted data can't be restored in sent file. However, there is a lot of personal data that is or may be stored in the workbook. It may be useful to inspect workbook before sending it. You can see what is kept and how to check it here: Excel files (.xlsx, .xlsm) are packed sets of xml structures, if you like you can unpack them and view in text editor.

combo

Thanks, Combo.

Am I correct that Auto Recover will not revert to a previous version when the file is sent as an attachment?

The office file recovery functionality stores files locally, in one of user account folders.

combo

Thanks, Combo.

This has been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back