Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi
I have an question relating to Excel protection. I know that I can set a password to OPEN and a separate password to EDIT. However is there a way to prevent recipients from opening as read only (they will have been provided with the password to open only) and then saving locally as a separate new spreadsheet without any password at all?

The Excel file is distributed to recipients by email for their information and although they should not really need to amend or edit in any way, it would be safer - with reference to new data protection legislation - for copying to be barred.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Voisey

If you like to disable editing, use rather worksheet/workbook protection:
1) worksheet protection:
Right-click sheet's tab and select "protect". You can protect with various schemas, including selection of cells (options for users in the list in the dialog). Before applying protection it is possible to individually set cells behaviour in protected worksheet ("protection" tab, the last in big formatting dialog for ranges): no protect and hide formulas for protected cells,
2) workbook structure prodection:
Via "file" tab on ribbon), disables adding/removing sheets to workbook.

Note that protection for xlsx or xlsm workbook, that can be opened, is wery, wery weak, worse than in previous format.

combo

Thanks combo
I do remember way back using the worksheet protection before ... but that was a long time ago.
This has been a very helpful reminder - appreciated
I think for what I want to achieve this will work very well
Thanks again

Voisey

That may not be what you want, but - you can do: Save As... PDF :)

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back