Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel PivotTable calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaganjr

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
US
Simple data setup ... each record is a sales lead. Each record includes a result column - sold or unsold. Simple example might look like ...

Lead Result
6/1/10 Open
6/2/10 Sold
6/3/10 Sold
6/4/10 Unsold

I would like a "report" result like this ...

CountOfLead CountofResult=Sold Rate
4 2 50%

I have a working solution for it. But, using a PivotTable does anyone know how to ...

a) Filter only the Result field to pull "Sold" values, while all the Leads are counted? If I apply a normal filter to the table for only Result=Sold, CountOfLead = 2 and CountOfResult = 2. I want 4 and 2 respectively.

b) Get that rate calculation to work automatically in a PivotTable?

I don't think this is possible in a PivotTable, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Hi,

More than likely, it is possible to calculate this from your source data.

Please post an example of your source data, supporting the PT results you previously posted.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Sorry ... don't know how to attach a file. The 8 cell example is really exactly the source data to work with.

Goal stated in words ... which I can do outside a PivotTable ... but trying to take advantage of PT flexibility ...

Count all the lead records
Count only the sold results
Show me the percent of sold/all

Thanks.

Using Named Ranges...
[tt]
Count of Lead: =COUNTA(Lead)
CountofResult=Sold: =COUNTIF(Result,"Sold")
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

Skip,

I use those functions now. How does one use those in a PivotTable? As far as I can tell PT's do not provide that kind of formula insertion ... so that I can utilize the PT flexibility, while also getting the analysis from the functions you suggested. Is it possible?

Thanks, again.

Don't know who to get it IN the PT but...
[tt]
Row Labels Count of Lead Pct
Open [red]1[/red] =[red]B2[/red]/COUNTA(Result)
Sold 2
Unsold 1
Grand Total 4
[/tt]
if that is your PT then a formula in the adjacent column returns the value of interest

Skip,
[sub]

You're dead on again, Skip. But formulas outside the PT are rendered useless as soon as filter options change the layout of the PT results.

I just don't think I can get the best of all worlds ... the flexibility of the PT PLUS the power of complex functions.

I appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back