Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Pivot Table - Combine Values into a single row

remeng

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
US
Hi,

I have a pivot table with two value columns. The data changes each day. One of the columns tells the user the total number (count of Required Quantity) of hardware packs that are required. The second column sums the total parts within the hardware packs (Sum of Comp_Qty). I am trying to create a single line of the hardware pack number and leave the component level as is.

The data is currently correct for both the quantity of hardware packs to make and the total number of components in all the hardware packs. This information is used by our warehouse to pick the total components and create the total count of the hardware packs.

Here is the current configuration that is incorrect.

1728562117083.png

1728562264895.png

I need it to show SHIP HDW UNTZ FLATBR KIT = 24 and the Sum of Comp_Qty to stay the same.

Here is an example of what I need.

1728562345617.png

When I try and move the Required Quantity field to the left of Component, it changes the value from 24 (correct) to 1 (incorrect).

1728562521626.png

1728562546837.png

Does anyone know how I can make my Pivot Table show the values in the format I need?

Thank you for the help!

Mike

So each 12012-1133-00 kit contains:
2 x 18907-6791-34
1 x 19898-0153-00
16 x 19917-4387-36

???

In the underlying data, where are those 2, 1 and 16 factors?

In the underlying data, where is there a 24 indicating that you need 24 kits?

Like this:
Data in left 4 columns, Pivot table in the right 5 columns.

KitKits used per dayPartparts per kitKitKits used per dayPartSum of parts per kitSum of Parts used per day
K1
24​
P1
2​
K1
K1
24​
P2
1​
24​
K1
24​
P3
16​
P1
2​
48​
P2
1​
24​
P3
16​
384​

Where:
Sum of Parts used per day='Kits used per day' *'parts per kit'

Potentially more useful to calculate 'parts per day per kit' in the data.

KitKits used per dayPartparts per kitParts per day per kit
K1
24​
P1
2​
48​
K1
24​
P2
1​
24​
K1
24​
P3
16​
384​
K2
5​
P1
3​
15​
K2
5​
P2
4​
20​
K2
5​
P4
1​
5​

Then you can use a pivot to report kit-wise:
KitKits used per dayPartParts Used per Day per Kit
K1
24​
P1
48​
P2
24​
P3
384​
K2
5​
P1
15​
P2
20​
P4
5​

And a pivot to report part-wise:
Total Parts per day
P1
63​
P2
44​
P3
384​
P4
5​

Hi,

I have a pivot table with two value columns. The data changes each day. One of the columns tells the user the total number (count of Required Quantity) of hardware packs that are required. The second column sums the total parts within the hardware packs (Sum of Comp_Qty). I am trying to create a single line of the hardware pack number and leave the component level as is.

The data is currently correct for both the quantity of hardware packs to make and the total number of components in all the hardware packs. This information is used by our warehouse to pick the total components and create the total count of the hardware packs.

Here is the current configuration that is incorrect.

View attachment 649

View attachment 650

I need it to show SHIP HDW UNTZ FLATBR KIT = 24 and the Sum of Comp_Qty to stay the same.

Here is an example of what I need.

View attachment 651

When I try and move the Required Quantity field to the left of Component, it changes the value from 24 (correct) to 1 (incorrect).

View attachment 652

View attachment 653

Does anyone know how I can make my Pivot Table show the values in the format I need?

Thank you for the help!

Mike
As mintjulep has stated, it ALL depends on "the underlying data"

Data
is $money.

Show me the $money!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. So the data is coming from two different data sources. Both are combined using Power Query.

I've tried using combine Pivots prior without any luck, hence utilizing Power Query. Also, the data source info is dynamic, so I am pulling the raw data from other files.

Here's a screenshot of the raw data. The Required Quantity of Packs = 24 and the sum total of Comp_Qty = 384 for the screws.

Each Pack has 16 screws.

1728580455565.png

There are other Components in the hardware pack, but the premise is still the same.

So what's wrong in your first pivot?
1728619360785.png

You get the correct Component Quantities.
You get the number of kits.
As a bonus you get confirmation that each component has been used in the same number of kits.

The Required Quantity of Packs = 24
I think your problem is that the data doesn't contain this requirement.

You have 24 rows, indicating that 16 screws have been used 24 times.

There's nothing that says 24 is the correct number.

Start with two tables. One to define what parts are in each kit, a second to define how many of each kit are required.
1728631517039.png

Then use Power Query LeftOuter join to get this table:
1728631630240.png

Then pivot that to get what you want:
1728631760157.png

Hi Mintjulep,

I created the tables as you suggested, but I think my Power Query merge LeftOuter Join isn't correct. The numbers just don't match the data correctly.

Here is my raw data. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Component and Hardware data sample.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi remeng,

Thanks for attaching the spreadsheet.

However, the spreadsheet that you attached is quite different from everything that you've posted so far:
  1. It introduces "Serial Number" that hasn't been discussed at all.
  2. In the Component table, the listed "Comp_Qty" is 1 for every serial number.
  3. In the Hardware Packs table, the listed "Required Quantity" is 1 for every row.
So, it's not at all clear to me what you are trying to do.

Please step us through the process.
  1. In the beginning we have:
    1. A
    2. B
    3. C
  2. A user needs to use A, B and C to do:
    1. X
    2. Y
    3. Z
  3. At the end we have....

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor