Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel open spreadsheet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotEye

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
GB
Hi Excel Experts,

Can you help with this one?

A user has a file on floppy disk but cannot open it because it thinks the file is open already. What may have happened is that the file was open, the disk removed, then the file closed without the disk in so the disk says it is open.

How do we access the file again?

We cannot even copy the file as it says access denied!

Thanks
HotEye

Have you tried copying the file to your hard drive? I would highly discourage working with files directly from floppy.

I've put the disk in three different computers and all of them say "access denied" when I try and copy the file from DOS. Windows Explorer will not copy it either.

None of the computers will open the file using Excel. Even the one we think accessed it last, but it has been turned off since then.

I have now advised the users not to access the files from floppy, copy to a hard disk or network drive first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back