Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel number format

Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog1

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
OK, I give...I have a spreadsheet with a phone number field that I need to export to another database. The prob is that these #'s were entered in different formats, ie, (###) ###-#### or ###-###-#### or ### ### ####, etc. I need to format these to an international format like ##########. How can I do this?

Can you not just highlight the range, go to Edit, Clear, Formats? You may want to apply a new format after that.

I tried that but to no avail. The ideal is to drop the () for the area code and eliminate the -'s and spaces and only display the ten digit number.

Use formulas to replace the contents of the cell and place just the numbers (without the "()"s and the "-"s) in a new cell. Then export the data plus the new cell content.

To achieve this, use the REPLACE function as a starter.....

Don't want to sound stupid but, could you give me a specific example in layman's terms?

Something like this is what (I think) Hasit is saying...

if your phone # is 878-987-9087

=REPLACE(A1,4,1,"")

knocks out your first hyphen

=REPLACE(B1,7,1,"")

knocks out your second hyphen, etc.

That sounds logical. If the format of the numbers in the existing sheet is not consistent (one cell is (803) 798-9526 and another is 803-456-5236 and yet another is (803)523-9621) is there a way to easily move, copy paste or whatever, just the numbers so that what's derrived is a single, ten digit number?

I'm sitting here smacking myself in the forehead with cold fry from lunch....

Highlight the column with the numbers in it.
Go to Edit, Replace, and start replacing your, (, ), - characters with blanks.

You could record this into a macro if you're gonna have to do this on any sort of rotation.

Hi, I would highlight the column and do a Replace. (Edit from the main menu and then Replace.) You'll have to do each character separately but it's quick. First put ( in the Find box and nothing in the Replace and choose Replace All. Then do the ). Then do -. When you're down to plain numbers, you should be able to then format the entire column as phone numbers. If it won't let you, copy and paste values to a new column, then try again.

Thanks to all!!! Got It!!! Duhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Worked Great....

I want to do just the opposite. I have a sheet with hundreds of phone numbers and contact info to import into Outlook. I need to convert ########## to ###-###-####. Ideas?

either create a custom format of ###-###-####
OR
use
=left(A1,3)&"-"&mid(A1,4,3)&"-"&right(A1,4)

where your number is in A1

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back