Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel not visible 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkay62

Programmer
Sep 5, 2003
IT
Hi.
I've an excel 2000 workbook with a single userform opened via workbook_open event.
In that form initialize event I put app.visible=false.
It works perfectly. My form is shown directly on dektop without visualizing excel, except for some seconds during excel opening before workbook_open event,
So, my question is: is there any way to open my workbook without visualizing excel at all (neither for those few seconds during opening)?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Nick

Only by opening it from another app or another session of excel and creating a new instance of excel. an app, by default is not visible when 1st created so you wouldn't see the excel at all if you opened it from Word or another excel workbook...

Rgds, Geoff

Well, he's kind of had it in for DPlank ever since he accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Enkay62, I have been trying to do this for some time and no success. I'm not a pro with computers but I think the answer might be in using a text editor like notepad to open the userform. I've tried this with no success, but someone with a better understanding of computers might know the route to go to achieve a cleaner start-up. Hopefully I sow a seed.

Hi, and thanks for replying.
Since I don't have any programming language except for vba in excel 2000, I've tried it with a batch file.
I wrote the path (i.e. : C:\myfile.xls).
It worked but-obviously- it opened my file normally, that is passing through excel.
Does anybody know which is the correct code to do what Xlbo says via batch or notepad or anything else that doesn't require to own a programming language?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Bye
Nick

My suggestion was to use VBA to open another instance of the application.
There are PLENTY of examples in this forum, in the help files and on the web in general as to how you open a new instance of an application. Have a look on google, have a look round here, try the help files. Try some stuff - post back with specifics if you get stuck

Rgds, Geoff

Three things are certain. Death, taxes and lost data. DPlank is to blame

Hi xlbo.
Of course you're right.
But as far as I've understood, I would need to run excel or word etc... anyway in order to open a new istance of the application (Am I wrong?).
What I would like to do is to open my file without visualizing excel or any other office application at all.
That's why I thought to try with a batch file (My goal was to create that batch file and after, create a link to it. So as to give the users the sensation to open my excel file directly).
Please, tell me where I'm wrong.
Thank you very much for your help.
Bye.
Nick

Have you tried this ?
START C:\myfile.xls /MIN

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

aaaah - I was suggesting that you launch it from another file. If that is not a viable solution then you will need to do something akin to what PHV is suggesting

Rgds, Geoff

Three things are certain. Death, taxes and lost data. DPlank is to blame

Hi PHV.
I just tried it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't minimize the window.
Any other idea?
Thank you.
Bye
Nick

And this ?
START /MIN C:\myfile.xls
Or this ?
START /MIN excel C:\myfile.xls

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Nick,

Just tried something that worked for me. Create a new shortcut on the desktop that launches Excel + your workbook. For the 'Run' option, select Minimized. When you launch your workbook using this shortcut, Excel starts minimized then is made not visible (due to your existing code). The only thing the user sees is your startup Userform.

HTH
Mike

Great PHV !!!!
Your second option works perfectly.
Thank you very much PH, and thank you all for your suggestions.
Bye
Nick

Guys,

I'm left behind.
Tried the above but no luck. I'm typing the "/MIN excel C:\mine.xls" in the Create Shortcut Wiz box but I get msg back "cannot find....." Am I in the wrong place? If I place new icon on the desktop and try to modify the properties do I modify the the "Target" or the "Start in" box? or am I in the ballpark.
Ta.

If you play with shortcut, simply put the workbook pathname in the target box and choose the minimized run option.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Ta PHV,
With the address in Target box and mimizised selected I get 'restore down' Position not minimized. When i play with the pathname (/MIN or /MIN excel) I get msg 'name is not valid' I'm running 2003.

Mick.

Try this:
%COMSPEC% /c start /min excel "C:\mine.xls"

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back